Cultural entertainment comes to town

passport2passport1 Throughout May, Washington D.C. has played host to the annual Passport DC festival. People from all over the Washington metropolitan area and beyond, have experienced days full of exciting performances, engaging exhibits, and splendid street festivals. From The Dragon Boat Festival to The Magic Flute Opera and The Fiesta Asia Planet, the international themed events to encounter were endless. On May 11th, The National Zoo accommodated The Asia Foundations’ Fiesta Asia Planet. Countries, such as  India, and China, were represented through a variety of interactive dances. The audience was pulled up to their feet and engaged in learning the fluid movements from these international countries. Volunteers and dancers from The Asia Foundation supplied the music and drums for the children to perform with and for the audience to try and play. Children, as well as parents, were exposed to several different dance moves and were encouraged to participate in performing with the instructors. The performers ranged from the ages of six to twenty, having prepared for weeks for this cultural event. It was a lively and playful environment, and it provided for a fun-filled Mother’s Day as well. For the finale event, the head of the program led the audience and dancers in learning steps to the hit Bollywood song, “Dilliwaali Girlfriend.” Passport DC has managed to expose the Washington metropolitan area to a wide variety of cultures, and the city should definitely look towards its return in the future. passport4passport5passport6