Club Soccer

Paul Russo in the middle of his competitive game

Club Soccer is a very popular sport for High School students to participate in outside of school. It provides a great environment for the students to play a sport they love and also the team normally contains many passionate players. In fact, many club soccer teams are even better then some High School Teams and have scouts attend their games.

Michael Tischler, a Junior at Oakton High School, has been playing Club Soccer for the majority of his life and he has enjoyed it immensely. He first started playing as a young kid and attributes a lot of his overall growth, to the environment and the team dynamics present. Now he is on team Vienna and he couldn’t be happier. The team has played in one tournament and they have played pretty well. In the tournament, Sam Roytman, guested for the team and this provided them an edge over their competition. The team was able to win one of their two games and the game they lost was very closely competitive. As the season has began, Michael has a few goals that he hopes to achieve. He says, “ I hope to score a hat trick and to also help my team win the majority of our games.”

Paul Russo, another Junior at Oakton High School, has also been involved in soccer for the majority of his life. He currently plays on Oakton’s varsity team and also plays for his highly touted club. He plays for the BRYC 00 Elite team, his team recently participated in the US youth soccer’s National League, where they finished in third place. Paul competed against top teams from all across the US, and traveled to North Carolina and Florida for games. At each National League game there were lots of college coaches lined up along the sidelines watching, and recruiting. Paul said “ playing in this highly competitive league really was a challenge and a great learning experience.” Currently his team is in the Region 1 Premier competing against the top teams on the east coast. His team travels to New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, and Pennsylvania for Region 1 Premier League games. Paul’s goals for the remainder of the season in both high school soccer, and club soccer are to continue improving, building  confidence and to continue playing at a high level. He is on the right path to play division one soccer at a good school, where he also plans on getting a good education,

Simon Kasabri, another Junior at Oakton High School, used to play club soccer for both Chantilly and Vienna. He had to quit because of other commitments, but he says that club soccer was one of the best experiences that he has had. He enjoyed building his skills and also playing a sport that he loved. He credits Club Soccer with building his leadership skills and also with providing him the chance to meet new people

In conclusion, Club Soccer is an awesome activity outside of school that a lot of high school students participate in. It is an awesome environment and allows students to both play for fun and also for competition.