Know Your Candidate

Back to Article
Back to Article

Know Your Candidate

Emily Wydra, Staff Writer

On June 13th, 2017, Virginians will all go to the polls to elect the candidate they want to represent their party in the general election. So far there are four declared republican candidates, and two declared democratic candidates. Although the republican primary is just as interesting as the democratic primary, this article is focusing on the similarities and differences just between the two candidates up for the democratic primary.

The candidate leading in the polls as of May 18th, 2017 was Tom Perriello with 40% of likely democratic voters favoring him, and 38% of likely democratic voters favoring the other candidate, Ralph Northam.

Tom Perriello, the candidate currently leading in the polls, was born locally in Charlottesville, VA and, according to his website, has a long history of “Fighting corruption, expanding economic fairness, and promoting reconciliation in conflict zones and communities back home.” Perriello has worked as a teacher, nonprofit executive, a congressman, and a diplomat to Sierra Leone, and has received the endorsement of Senator Bernie Sanders and Senator Elizabeth Warren.

Ralph Northam, the other declared candidate for the democratic primary, was grew up locally in Virginia beach, and has served as an Army doctor, business owner, and lieutenant governor. According to his website, Northam “Has volunteered as medical director for the Edmarc Hospice for Children in Portsmouth, where he cares for terminally ill children.” Northam has received the endorsements of Senator Tim Kaine, and sitting Governor McAuliffe.

To summarize their stances, which are albeit very similar in some areas, I created an infographic that clearly lays out both candidates plans for Virginia if they are to become governor. This infographic is meant to very shortly summarize each candidate’s plans for each area, but does not include a majority of what the candidates are proposing. For this reason, I encourage readers to do their research by going to each candidate’s URL below.

Tom Perriello’s URL: https://www.tomforvirginia.com/issue/

Ralph Northam’s URL: http://ralphnortham.com/issues/