Breaking the Bank: Cost of Homecoming

How much do Oakton students really spend for Homecoming?

Homecoming. It’s something that you should experience at least once in your high school career. The most popular music is blasting, everyone is dressed up nicely, and people are taking up the dance floor having a great time. But if you look closely at the details, you’ll see that the girl next to you is wearing a $50 dress and the boy next to you is renting a tux for $100 just for the night. When you look around again, you’ll realize that every single person in the room paid $25 to be there. So, what really is the cost of Homecoming? For a school-wide event that includes everyone, how much does it cost to attend?

The announcement that Homecoming tickets would be $25 this year sent the student body into a bit of a shock. There was some backlash, with people questioning why the tickets were so expensive. For the average person at Oakton, $25 is a bit of a stretch on a student budget. Especially for students who are from families that struggle financially. “It was kind of the main reason I don’t want to go,” says Joe Wong, a sophomore. “I’m still debating if I should go, but most likely not due to the cost.” The ticket prices have discouraged a lot of students to attend, sending them searching for better Homecoming alternatives.

On top of that is the rising cost of dresses and tuxes for this special occasion. While there are some cheaper options like the thrift store or buying dresses in clearance, the reality is that many stores don’t offer cheaper alternatives and many have to settle with buying higher priced items for the night. So, on top of the cost of tickets, students are really paying anywhere from $25 to $200 for this one specific night. It’s just the nature of Homecoming and all that comes with it.

So, was going to Homecoming really worth it? It’s up to you to decide. Homecoming can be all kinds of fun—you’re with your friends, there’s music, and of course—food. Whether you spent October 14th at Homecoming dancing your heart out, or at home cuddled up on your couch watching the latest episode of your favorite TV show, it’s best to just have fun with whatever you plan to do.