Celebrating Cultural Exchange and Education Abroad: International Education Week 2017

Learning how to embrace the benefits that come with an international education

Many dream of the opportunity to meet students from all over the globe and interact amongst each other in the hopes of receiving inspiration for becoming future leaders of our world. Recognizing the importance of international education and studying abroad, the US Department of State and Education celebrated its first International Education Week (IEW) in November 2000.

What is International Education Week? 

International Education Week may seem unfamiliar to many. IEW is a movement to embrace the benefits that come with foreign education programs and cultural exchange. A collective initiative hosted by the US Department of State and US Department of Education, IEW engages the interest of individuals and institutions through a series of stimulating events all over the globe.

Today, IEW is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and the U.S. Department of Education and is celebrated in November each year prior to Thanksgiving. The widely recognized “holiday” offers the opportunity to develop a far-reaching understanding of cultures and world languages while emphasizing the strength of friendships created through international education that secures a peaceful future for all countries.

How Do I Participate and Get Involved? 

Host an IEW Event

If you are a member of an organization that shares the same values as IEW, coordinate and facilitate your own IEW event: from planning out logistics to submitting it to the IEW events website, this is a great opportunity to showcase your leadership skills.

Attend a Local IEW Event

Throughout the week, thousands of events take place all over the US and can range anywhere from formal lectures on the topics of recent global affairs to lively cultural festivals, or even a college application workshop for international students looking to apply to US colleges. Whatever your interest is, IEW events cover a broad spectrum of topics that aim to get the whole community involved.

Join the Online Discussion 

Be sure to document your experience throughout the week using social media, whether it be Instagram, Snapchat, or Facebook. Using the #IEW2017, share your story to millions of other students and become connected to individuals with the same interests. If given the opportunity to, film a #20Questions video with an international student and interview them on what it is like to study abroad, being sure to capture the highlights of a education in a foreign country.