“Searching” Movie Review

This unique movie is sure to surprise you.

Back to Article
Back to Article

“Searching” Movie Review

Zoe Siamon, Staff Writer

After Margot Kim, a 16 year old girl goes missing, it is up to her father, David Kim, to understand what happened. The investigation goes over 37 hours with no real leads, until David finally understands what no one else saw, his daughters computer.

In all honesty, this is one of the best movies I have ever seen. The entire movie is done through the screen of a computer, from texting to googling to, mostly, facetiming. It is such a unique way to tell the story, and yet it is still really easy to understand what is happening. Felicia Gordon, (10), explained to me, “I enjoyed this movie immensely due to the writing and cinematography. The writing of the characters is unique and the character Margot is a very good representation of a modern teenager who may be struggling with a loss of a loved one. Other characters seem to be given very good character motivation throughout the film and are all realistic.”

I don’t want to spoil anything because I need you to see this in person, but I will say how much the ending surprised me. In these type of mystery movies, you can usually see the ending coming from a mile away, but this movie did a fantastic job of keeping you in the dark until they wanted you to know. They did a spectacular job at using modern habits and technology to make this movie eerily realistic. Gordon explained, “I think that this movie applies to different people for different reasons. For youth, it can be a positive influence of how using the Internet may isolate you from people you love. For parents, it shows a tale of heartbreak as it takes everything away from a single parent who has lost his wife, and now his daughter. It shows his struggle of putting everything into being able to hold onto the one thing he had left.”

One of my favorite parts of the movie was that it all made so much sense. The movie throws so many mysteries or stories that seem irrelevant, but in the end it all comes together perfectly. “No, I didn’t (see the ending coming). Throughout the film, I thought it was going one way but it suddenly took a different turn. Once the end was revealed, lots of plot threads that seemed loose were nicely tied together.”

There are a lot of movies that you walk out of the theater disappointed, thinking you wasted your money. I can guarantee that, while you may not be speechless for half an hour like I was, you will not regret it. This is one of the best movies I’ve ever seen and I think that everyone should see it.

About the Writer
Zoe Siamon, Staff Writer

My name is Zoe Siamon, and this is my second year as a Staff Writer for the Oakton Outlook! I like reading and writing, and I love staying up to date on...