In October, We Wear Pink

Oakton Sports Show Their Support for Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Photo courtesy of Abby Chen(10).

Photo courtesy of Abby Chen(10).

Payton Wozny, Editorial Board

Oakton sports are bringing out their pink for Breast Cancer Awareness Month(BCAM). BCAM was started by various breast cancer charities to raise awareness and money to support research and treatments. Every October, groups of people around the world support this cause. Here are teams from Oakton that are showing their support.  

OHS volleyball hosted their annual Dig Pink game on October 11th. Dig Pink is a movement, led by the Side-Out Foundation, to support stage IV breast cancer patients. The foundation has over 6500 participating volleyball teams from across the country and overseas and has raised $14m to support research for treatments.

Although the varsity team lost 0-3, they still enjoyed playing for a cause.  “My favorite part was definitely running through the banner at the beginning of the game with my team,” said Abby Chen(10). Every year, the players all create a fundraising page for the Side-Out Foundation research. 

The volleyball team isn’t the only sport supporting Breast Cancer Awareness Month. The cheerleaders will show their support by wearing pink bows to their games. On Friday the 12th, the JV team wore pink bows, lipstick, and face-paint to school and to their game at Westfield High School. Carlyn Switzer(9) is a member of the JV cheer team. She said, “Wearing pink is special because it supports so many people all over the world, and it gives me hope for everyone with breast cancer.”

The dance team had a special performance at the Dig Pink volleyball match and they wore pink ribbons to school the day of the game. Emma Rogers(10) says, “seeing how supportive everyone was of everybody at the game,” was the best part.

Breast Cancer Awareness Month can help to bring each other together when fighting for a common cause. If you would like to donate to the Side-Out Foundation to support their stage IV breast cancer treatment research, you can visit their website; https://side-out.org/. Don’t forget to wear your pink this month because, in October, we wear pink!

About the Writer
Payton Wozny, Editorial Board

My name is Payton Wozny and I'm a sophomore. This is my second year on the Oakton Outlook and I'm on the editorial board. I like to write A&E and news...