Seniors on spring sport seasons

Much of the student body at Oakton are athletes.  Everybody who played a spring sport had only a few weeks in the season before school was closed. Seniors’ last year of high school was cut short, and that means they will be missing events and milestones from academics to athletics. Here what some seniors had to say about their spring sport as well as their plans for next year.

Tyler Hyun has been playing tennis for 10 years and will play at Christopher Newport University, where he plans to study premed. When asked what he was most looking forward to this season at Oakton, he said, “I was really looking forward to the sate tournaments because the nailbiter matches that we have are really exciting.” His take away from playing tennis was not to through in the towel, and he learned to have a steady mindset.

Ali Jarrah has been rowing for 4 years. He was excited about trying to win at states so that the rest of the 1V boat will go to nationals. Ali said he will remember and appreciate the friendship and sense of community that developed with the team after spending so much practicing and improving their skills. He will go to the University of Virginia, and he intends to major in biology or chemistry.

Emily Neihardt has been playing soccer since she was 5 and has been on the Oakton varsity girls soccer team since freshman year. She was eager to play against some of the team’s biggest rivals, like Chantilly and Madison. Emily was also excited to bond with her new teammates. Her takeaway from playing at soccer at Oakton was “what it means to be a part of a team.” Emily will go to the University of Michigan, and she is thinking about playing for the school club team for soccer

Audrey Craig has been playing lacrosse since she was in second grade and was the Oakton varsity girls lacrosse team each year of high school. She excited to spend her spring break in Virginia Beach with the rest of the team. Audrey said she was also “looking forward to senior night and saying goodbye to her teammates and coaches she’s been with for the last few years.” Audrey says she learned the value of teamwork and how the relationship with teammates correlates to being successful on the field. In addition to that, she learned how the substance of keeping a positive attitude during the face of hardship and difficulty. Audrey is going to Virginia Tech and wants to play club lacrosse.