Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman all receive new costumes

This June, the “Trinity” of DC Comics, Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman receive new costumes in issue 41 of their respective comics. These new looks come on the heel of the “Divergence” initiative that DC recently announced, where the creative teams of many of DC’s comics were changed, and several new titles, ranging from the dark and gritty “Omega Men” to the light-hearted “Bat-Mite,” were announced.

Superman's New Costume
Superman’s New Costume

Superman’s new costume, debuting in June’s “Action Comics 41” and designed by artist Aaron Kuder, is an odd combination of a variety of older costumes. The overall design of the costume, the t-shirt and jeans look, is essentially unchanged from the costume that Superman sported in 2011, lacking only a cape. The red on black symbol hearkens to the design used in the Fleisher Studios cartoons from the 1940s, while the close-cut haircut is similar to the sported by Superboy in the “Young Justice” cartoons. While the look is quite likely to be temporary, it marks a big divergence from the traditional look associated with Superman, and the blood-stained ground certainly marks a darker turn for the Man of Steel.

“Action Comics 41” goes on sale on June 3, for $3.99.

wonder woman
Wonder Women

David Fitch’s design for the new Wonder Woman costume will first appear in “Wonder Woman 41,” and marks a departure from the traditional costumes associated with the heroine. Most noticeably, the bullet-deflecting bracelets, long a hallmark of Wonder Woman’s mythos, has been replaced with a pair of wrist-mounted swords/blades. Additionally, there is the addition of the new armored shoulder-pads, which you would think would make it practically impossible for her to raise her arm, but that’s a different issue. Fitch’s new idea about Wonder Woman has not been well-received, and there is no telling how long this costume will be in use.

“Wonder Woman 41” will go on sale on June 17, for $3.99.

batman
Batman

Finally, Batman gets an all-new, and all-robot, look, designed by Greg Capullo. In the aftermath of the Joker attacking Gotham City (again), a new character is taking over the mantle of the Dark Knight, and will be bringing a more pragmatic method to crime-fighting. Admittedly, the new costume looks like Bugs Bunny survived the apocalypse, but it has good potential, and will appear in all Batman-related books, beginning in “Batman 41.”

“Batman 41” goes on sale June 10, and will cost $3.99.