Oakton Robotics

A peek inside one of Oaktons’ most engaging clubs

Oakton robotics is an underrated and engaging sport dedicated to designing, building, and programming robots. It is divided into FRC, FTC, and business. FRC allows for robots to be bigger, while FTC has more limits. People who have considered joining might be thinking, “I’m really interested in robots, but I don’t have any experience with them.” Well, fear not! According to Aanya Deval, a sophomore, you need NO experience to be successful and have fun, and the mentors will show you the ropes. She also states, “The team will teach you everything you need to know. It’s just better if you have the experience because you want to win.” 

photo credit from Mason Szczesniak

And those who are wondering about the time you need to dedicate to robotics, Aanya will also tell you about this: “It depends what side you’re on, FTC it’s pretty big towards the beginning of the year because the competitions are in January, maybe December and November. If you’re on FRC, which is like a step up, that’s a lot more time commitment, especially in like March and February. FRC is just bigger, so they give you more freedom, and you can build the robot and make it bigger.” 

For those who want a fun science-based after-school activity filled with engineering, teamwork, and problem-solving, Oakton robotics would be great for you. Participating on the robotics team could also lead to a STEM career.

photo credit from Cougar Robotics Business