Who Is Killer Mike?

Underdog story for this year’s rap Grammys

The rap category for Grammys has never been far from controversy. From allegations of racism to non-rap albums being nominated, massive upsets are no stranger to rap fans every year at this award show. This year was no different, with independent artist Killer Mike sweeping the rap categories, winning Best Rap Album, Best Rap Song, and Best Rap Performance this year for his album MICHEAL and his song “SCIENTISTS & ENGINEERS.” However, many hip-hop heads claim that major artists Metro Boomin and Travis Scott were snubbed for the relatively unknown Atlanta rapper Killer Mike.

Killer Mike has 1,394,900,235 streams, while other nominated artists like Travis Scott have 42,444,734,005, and Travis Scott’s latest album is the most streamed rap album of the year, receiving 1.9 billion streams in 2023. Killer Mike was a clear underdog in this situation, with the last time having won a Grammy was in 2003 on the Outkast song “The Whole World.” Travis Scott has received ten nominations for a Grammy in the past decade, but despite him being considered one of the greatest modern rappers, he has yet to receive a single Grammy.

While many like to focus on who missed these awards, it’s important that a massive award show like the Grammys recognizes smaller artists who often lack the recognition that billboard charts grant them. With the song “SCIENTISTS & ENGINEERS,” Killer Mike was able to bring Andre 3,000, half of the legendary duo Outkast, out of retirement. A feat that few artists have been able to do in the past decade, putting him with the likes of Frank Ocean, Beyonce, Kanye West, and Travis Scott.

However, this may not be the most interesting thing to occur that night. Killer Mike, when leaving the premises, was taken in handcuffs, arrested, detained, and charged with a misdemeanor. According to Killer Mike, he had a “physical altercation with an overzealous guard.” However, Killer Mike has stated that he is ok, that the situation was overblown, and is confident that he will beat these charges.

This is far from the end of Killer Mike’s hot seat in the news. On February 1st, Killer Mike proposed a controversial child support reform to even more controversial presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. This most likely is because not too long ago, Killer Mike was seen defending legendary rapper Ice Cube, who posed with RFK Jr. despite the presidential candidate being in hot water over his rejection of the vaccine mandate. Killer Mike’s plan for child support includes a grace period for new parents in child support as well as an option for fathers to pay for the child going to trade school as an alternative to lessen the education gap African American children face compared to other communities.

What can be said about Killer Mike is his resilience and confidence. He has been in the turbulent rap game for over two decades; he is no stranger to controversy, with the HuffPost last year claiming that his politics are more dangerous than Kanye West’s anti-Semitic remarks. Killer Mike’s ability to triumph over controversy is something few smaller artists have been able to overcome his confidence in adversity is something that should be admired despite one’s personal opinions on his politics or music.