Safety concern: sexual assault on Blake Lane

On June 5 the Oakton Administration sent out a safety awareness email in response to a sexual assault on June 3. The incident took place around 6:50pm on June 3, 2015 as a student was walking on Blake Lane at Five Oaks Road. What occurred was that an unidentified male approached and grabbed the student from behind with both hands, and then fled toward Lee Hwy.

Suspect description

Dark tan complexion,  approximately 5’ 7” tall, weighing 140 to 150 lbs. with a full beard and mustache. He was wearing at the time, a blue shirt, white pants and white hat.

Security’s Safe Walking Tips

• Have someone accompany you if at all possible.
  • Let someone know where you will be and when you expect to return.
  • If you plan to go jogging, let someone know the path you intend to take and when you plan to leave and return.
  • Know where you can run for help. Remember, no coins are required to dial the 911 emergency number from pay telephones.
  • Avoid walking too closely to bushes or areas with any kind of tall overgrowth.
  • Avoid the temptation to daydream or otherwise become distracted. Know what’s going on around you.
  • Be alert to any sudden approach by a stranger.
  • Whenever walking on a highway, road or street, always walk facing traffic. You should do this even when there are sidewalks, since it makes it more difficult for someone to drive up behind you without being noticed.
  • Do not wear an IPOD or other headphone.

What to do if you are attacked

• MAKE NOISE! Attract attention to yourself and the situation
  • Have a whistle ready or a loud yell
  • Remove yourself. Run in the opposite direction or near a highly populated area to seek help
  • Report it! Once you have removed yourself from the danger report the incident to the police

REMEMBER! If you see something say something. It is always better to be safe then sorry.