Star Trek Returns to Television January 2017

After a ten year absence, television will return to the final frontier, as CBS prepares to launch a new Star Trek show. Star Trek, a long-lived franchise detailing the adventures of a series of captains, crews, and ships as they “explore strange new worlds” under the aegis of the United Federation of Planets. Launching in January 2017, and helmed by Alex Kurtzman, co-writer and producer of the 2009 Star Trek movie and 2012’s Star Trek Into Darkness, the new Star Trek will be the first original content on CBS’s streaming service, the rather obviously named CBS All Access, and offered exclusively there.

Star Trek was last on TV in the wildly unpopular Enterprise, starring Scot Bakula, which acted as a prequel to the main series. After its cancellation, Star Trek stood in limbo for four years, until J.J. Abrams released the eleventh Star Trek movie, simply titled Star Trek, which breathed a new life into the franchise. Receiving a sequel, Star Trek Into Darkness, and a soon-to-be released threequel, Star Trek: Beyond, the new series will likely take place alongside those movies.

No information has been released as yet on who will star in the series, but fans across the world look forward to it enthusiastically.