Russian Plane Crash

The+Metrojet+plane+crashed+into+Sinai+killing+224+people+on+the+plane.+
Сергей Коровкин
The Metrojet plane crashed into Sinai killing 224 people on the plane.

On Oct. 31, 2015 a Russian airline crashed into Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula soon after taking off from a Red Sea Resort, killing 224 people aboard the plane. This crash is considered to be the worst air accident in Russia’s history. The airline has told the Russian news agency that it does not believe that it was human error that caused the crash instead it might have been a planned attack. The investigation of the plane has become a multinational effort.

According to a news agency, the Islamic State of Iraq (ISIS) has claimed that they were responsible for the crash. Investigators are trying to figure out how a bomb could have been placed on the plane. Senior officials have told the news that every detail is being looked over, and that the airport security has greatly increased, even though they don’t know what caused the crash. Officials are not sure if it was a bomb, ISIS that planned the attack, or technical difficulties that caused the crash. Two black boxes containing flight information were found near the site at where the plane crashed. Different countries have been pulling satellite images to help find more information. Another development that has been made is that European investigators who investigated the plane boxes told media that the sound of the explosion can be heard in the boxes. Investigators are not sure what the sound means.

After the crash, not only has the Russian President cancelled flights to Egypt, but so have many other countries. The big question now is: was this a planned attack or a technical malfunction? This all depends on the evidence officials find about the bomb and how it was able to get on board. There have already been precautionary steps taken and a lot more focus on security screening at various airports.