Avoid the Winter Break slump

With thoughts of the holidays in everyone’s minds, it can be difficult to focus in the weeks between Thanksgiving and winter break. Sadly, teachers use these weeks to fit in one more unit into the year. The final week can be especially difficult, with unit tests, projects, and essays for different classes all due at the same time. This means that students need to focus even more for the final stretch of 2015. To help out, the Oakton Outlook has three tips to help students stay motivated during this stressing time.

1. Put your phone in another room-Phones are a perfect procrastination tool, and friends and social media can make you wonder where all your time has gone. By putting your phone where you can’t get to it, you can focus on getting your work done.
  2. Set up a website blocker on your computer- A lot of assignments require the internet, which can tempt you to go off track and browse online. There are lots of free website blockers that you can use to block websites that you consistently procrastinate on.
  3. Use a reward system- To keep yourself motivated, treat yourself when you reach certain benchmarks. For example, go on your phone for 5 minutes after you complete a page of math homework. This way, you don’t burn out and give up on staying focused.

Use these tips, you can stay focused through the end of the year, and succeed on your final tests. Good Luck!