Teen Vogue ceased in print; the end of a golden era?

Condé Nast shifts the magazine to it's digital entity

Ashleigh Tain, Editorial Board

At a young age, Teen Vogue Magazine opened a new realm of maturity and culture to my life. It made reading more adventurous and purposeful, I felt like an accomplished adult, and honestly a crisp stack of Vogue magazines really does make your bedroom look that much better. But on a more serious note, Teen Vogue served many purposes in building the individual I am today. As a magazine targeted to younger audiences (hence the name Teen Vogue), it helped to break down the pretentious and perplex stigma that surrounded high fashion— from big name designers to street style to celebrities who had it all.

As of last year, TeenVogue has been making active reforms to featuring a more diverse range of political and social issues while continuing to emphasize our youngest influencers— Amandla Stenberg, Sasha Lane, and Paris Jackson to name a few. However, in what seems like a revolutionary era for Teen Vogue, Condé Nast decided to cease the magazine in print and move it to its digital platform.

“Teen Vogue has experienced tremendous audience growth across its digital, social, and video platforms this past year, and has earned journalism and industry accolades that set it apart from its competition. Though the quarterly print editions will cease publishing on a regular schedule at newsstand, we are looking forward to exploring reimagined special issues timed to specific moments of our readers’ lives.” Announced Condé Nast.

Teen magazines have always lived as fads, but the revolution of Teen Vogue allowed it to thrive as more than gossip columns and romantic quizzes. In the past year, Condé Nast has been experiencing financial challenges. In response, they made budget cuts on their various platforms by cutting 80 employees across the company and shedding the print issue circulation of a few of their other publications. Magazines Allure, Architectural Digest, and Glamour will have one fewer issue published per year.

Condé Nast has emphasized that this decision won’t cease the publication entirely; Teen Vogue will continue to reign through their online website and invests in “consumer touch points” such as annual events and/or special print editions.

But what does this mean? Will the cease of these magazines mark a retreat of the youth? How will we have our voice? What should we do to keep youth-oriented publications mainstream?

In some case, yes, the youth of our era will be diminished of another major platform. Other publications will obviously continue to feature young stars and influential figures, but they won’t continue to sound to the melody of teenage energy and vibrance. This doesn’t mean though that teens will no longer have a platform to flesh out their beliefs and curiosity.

Our era marks the production of several journalistic publications that haven’t yet emerged in mainstream. There are several growing magazines that are run by students and resonate the theme of youth. You will be surprised to find the ambitious, artistic creativity that seeps through writing, graphic design, photography, and interviews. If you believe communications is your calling, do that thing that everyone says to do— step out of your comfort zones. Apply to work for a small magazine and join the ride as they grow and thrive and inch their way to mainstream. Start your own publication; a blog, digital magazine, or website. We need to keep our voice relevant and the only way we can do that is to take action.