A STEMtatstic Weekend for Cougar Science

Oakton students participate at the 2018 Fairfax County Regional Science Fair

“Reason can answer questions but imagination has to ask them,” as once said by scientist Ralph W. Gerard. This quote was the theme for the 2018 Fairfax County Regional Science and Engineering Fair. Oakton sent twenty five students to the fair which is composed of over 400 projects. The fair is divided into twenty two categories, depending on the topic of research. Students compete for a chance to participate in the international science fair, the state science fair, and organization awards presented by many generous companies. Not only is it a enriching opportunity to complete a full research project, but to be surrounded by other students who have put in hours of work towards the goal of science is a wonderful opportunity for students.

Sitara Sastry (10) received first place in the category of Earth and Environmental Science. Her project looked into using the xylem tissue that naturally is present in plants to filter water so that it is drinkable. She was inspired to find a simple way to filter water so that it is drinkable after reading stories about the

Flint water crisis and the lack of clean water in Puerto Rico. She was excited to find that the use of xylem tissue was overall successful in achieving EPA drinking water standards. Not only did Sastry gain a deeper understanding of science through her experience, but she also enjoyed seeing the research her peers had delved into. Sastry said, “I really like how you get to walk around and see all the cool projects other kids are working on.” As a first place winner, Sastry will be heading to the state fair.

Ankisha Singh (10) received second place in the category of biomedical and health sciences. This was Singh’s second year at the regional fair and she did a continuation of her research from the previous year.  Singh said, “I tested the effect of turmeric, C. sinensis, and an ACE inhibitor on daphnia magna with atrial fibrillation. And the premise of my experiment was to determine a plausible solution for lowering high heart rate. To my surprise, the natural substances, turmeric and the c. sinensis (green tea), were more effective at lowering the heart rate of the daphnia magna than the medication (ACE inhibitor). This allows for society to possibly look deeper into homeopathic remedies for such life threatening issues such as high/irregular heart rate (atrial fibrillation).”

Overall Oakton performed very well at the fair thanks to the help and support of the Oakton coordinator, Dr. Wang. Shannen Prindle (12) was one of nine students in FCPS to be selected to go straight to the international science fair for her third year in a row. Ten Oakton students received first place awards and will be heading to the state fair, nine students received second place awards, four received third place awards, and three received honorable mention. It was a successful day of science and exploration for Oakton High School!