Help Local Kids and Teens in Foster Care!

Touching Heart's Current Project: Birthday Bundles

Back to Article
Back to Article

Haley Longfellow, Staff Writer

Sadly, some foster children have never had their birthdays celebrated in the midst of bouncing from temporary home to temporary home. When it comes to helping these kids, fulfilling basic needs undoubtedly takes top priority. It is still important, though, for all children to experience some excitement and fun. The Touching Heart club at Oakton is setting out to help kids in Fairfax County Foster Care in just this way!

We are creating baskets full of goodies to be appropriately distributed to kids of all ages in foster care. The baskets will be adorned with personal touches such as cards and decorations in order to show a greater sense of care, and each basket will be tailored to a child or teen of a certain age and or gender.

In order to brighten the birthdays of as many kids as possible and make for baskets that are truly exciting, it is crucial that a substantial amount of donations are collected. If enough baskets are made, some kids in Loudoun County Foster Care will get to receive baskets as well!

Touching Heart is seeking gift cards, toys, sports equipment, books, clothing… anything that would make an exciting birthday present for a kid or teen. Items should be in new condition, but this is a great way to clean your home of items you might already have if you have any toys you never used as a kid, or any gently used books. It will feel incredible to get those items into the hands of children and teens who will really appreciate them.

“Think about how happy you feel to get gifts on your birthday. Even one donation can help another kid get to understand that,” says Abby Cortez, sophomore and club Vice President.

Items can be placed in the collection box outside of Dr. Fernandez’s room, room 122, until March 21st. Your support is sincerely appreciated.

About the Writer
Haley Longfellow, Staff Writer

Hi! I'm Haley, and I am super excited to be working on the Oakton Outlook this year. Some of the things I do outside of school are dance, play piano, work...