Marvel Shows VS DC Shows

Both franchises movies are compared often, but what about their shows?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Marvel Shows VS DC Shows

Aubrey Harrell, Staff Writer

Most people in tune to the world of pop culture have probably heard the infamous debate before: Marvel or DC Comics? The question has been the spark of many heated debates for years on end, and still continues to cause arguments today in the year 2019. Lately with releases like Avengers: Infinity War and Aquaman, it’s only natural for such debates to rise again about the quality of each franchise’s respective films, but what about the shows under Marvel and DC Comics belt? How do shows like Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D and Jessica Jones compare to the likes of The Flash and Arrow?

Marvel 

In 2013, Marvel Television launched its first television series set in the Marvel universe, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. From there on, an onslaught of Marvel shows were produced, and in the year of 2019 Marvel Television have now released eleven shows, each with a unique premise and cast of characters. The general consensus on which series is the best show Marvel Universe has to offer based off of ratings and reviews online seems to be Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, but Marvels other hit show Daredevil gives it a run for its money, which is surprising considering the fact that the two shows are very notably different from each other in terms of plot and tone. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D had a slow and somewhat disappointing beginning, but it quickly picked up and became quickly intriguing when it brought up plotlines like S.H.I.E.L.D being taken over by Hydra, and other new and interesting story arcs. Daredevil, on the other hand, is an action packed show known for it’s impressive fighting scenes and interesting villain. While these two shows tend to be the main breadwinners when it comes to Marvels TV series’, other shows to note that also have gained popularity include Agent Carter, which follows agent Peggy Carter’s story after World War II and the events in Captain America : The First Avenger, and Jessica Jones, a Netflix original series that follows superhero Jessica Jones and explores what hardships outside of crime fighting heroes routinely face.

DC Comics

While DC Comics have technically been making TV series’ based off of its comics since the 1950’s with the production of shows like Adventures of Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman, only somewhat recent works that are still relevant by today’s standards will be discussed. DC Comics’ most popular shows seems to be The Flash,which follows the adventures of speedster superhero Barry Allen and has been commended for its sense of humor and great cast of characters, and Arrow, an enjoyable series that moves at a fast pace and always keeps the viewer invested. Other popular titles that have come from the franchize include Black Lightning, a show that provides both large amounts of humour and action, and Supergirl, a series that managed to excel despite a rough start.

In the end, Judging off of numbers and ratings alone, it seems that DC Comics wins against Marvel. When Marvels eleven shows are pitted against DC Comics’ nine shows, the results show that DC Comics shows tend rank better compared to most Marvel shows. This, however, doesn’t automatically make every show produced by DC better than Marvel. It really does all come down to preference and what you’re looking to see in each individual piece of work. Although one branch of television shows may be rated higher by critics than the other, both franchises have produced some pretty impressive content thus far, and it’s up to you personally to decide which universe is the most attractive to you content wise.

About the Writer
Aubrey Harrell, Staff Writer

My name is Aubrey Harrell, and this is my second year working on the Oakton Outlook. I look forward to becoming a better writer through my experiences...