Another successful season for varsity girls basketball

The girls after a 50-42 win over Madison

The girls Varsity basketball team has had an outstanding history, and the team continued to be successful this winter season. The Oakton girls finished their season with an impressive 24-2 record, and went on to win 6A Girls Districts and Regionals. The team then traveled to VCU for State semifinals, but did not win both games, which preventing them from playing in the states championship.

Although the team did not make it to this year’s state championship, they had a very successful season that is worth celebrating. Delaney Connolly, a player on the Varsity girls’ basketball team, provided insight on how her team has managed to perform so well this season.

“We are all close friends, and that really helps us work well together,” said Connolly. The team took a trip to the Bahamas at the beginning of December, which helped “strengthen the team’s relationship,” according to Connolly. Before games, the girls spend their time hanging out in the locker room and getting pumped up. Connolly says that the supportive relationship between her and her teammates has been a huge contributing factor to the team’s performance this season.

The Coach of the girls’ basketball team, Fred Priester, has had a large impact on the team’s success over the years. Priester has been coaching varsity girls basketball for 30 years, and has been awarded “Coach of the Year” multiple times in his career. Connolly said that Priester does not let the team get away with anything but their best. “He pushes us because he knows what we are capable of,” said Connolly. Priester’s tough coaching style has evidently made for many successful seasons of basketball. The team’s combination of friendship and great coaching makes it very likely that Oakton girls basketball will continue its long streak of triumph in the future.