Spring : A Season for Change or Nothing New?

Is Spring overrated, underrated, or fairly rated?

Opinions on Spring from students at Oakton

When envisioning spring, one might associate it with flowers, plants, and lots of sunlight. The sky is painted a pale blue and the weather is warm, but not like the scorching heat that comes with Summer. Others may not think so happily of all the mosquitos and rain that the season brings. While some people are awaiting the arrival of Spring, others are dreading it or may just find it lackluster. The debate of whether or not Spring is overrated or underrated has existed for a long time due to all of the contradicting views on it.

For many, Spring is a beautiful season. The Earth is finally overcoming the chilly, constricting weather and welcoming the toastiness the sun has to offer. Life is in full bloom. It is a time of rebirth and rejuvenation, as the flowers sprout and little critters are birthed. Additionally, new opportunities are provided in this season, such as the comfortability of wearing shorts and trekking the outdoor world without the burden of wearing a winter coat. It is also a season of relaxation. Students are given a break to recover from the stress of school and oftentimes, go on vacation. Spring offers many delightful holidays such as Ramadan, April Fools Day and Easter.

On the other hand, there are some downsides that come with the season. Even with the abundance of beautiful warmth, there are many bugs outdoors. Also, with all of the flowers blooming, pollen is in the air, which brings along bad allergies. The adjustment to daylight savings time is also difficult, even though it brings longer days. As said before, the weather is mainly warm, but sometimes those sunny days can be overshadowed by clouds and rain. Furthermore, many students dislike the season because the third quarter can be stressful due to the amount of strenuous schoolwork and activities.  All of these factors lead some people to develop a dislike for the Spring season. 

There are many reasons to love Spring, and there are many reasons to dislike it. Just like any other season, they have their positives and negatives. However, it is important to appreciate all the seasons, the good and the bad. It is the world’s natural process, after all.