Oakton Football Qualifies For Playoffs

Two weeks ago the Oakton Cougars sat at 3-5 after coming off a crushing overtime loss to Broad Run. Many people had questioned the Cougars and wondered if they could even make the playoffs. Two weeks later the Cougars are now 5-5 after two dominating victories over Falls Church and Herndon. Many are asking what caused the major turnaround and resurrection of Oakton’s season.

Oakton has been able to spark a playoff run through their offensive threats and emergence of a strong defense. Oakton put 41 points on the board against Falls Church and 35 against Herndon. Sal Tutone and Jarrett Bacon have helped to push Oakton’s offense into full force and propel the Cougars into the playoffs. Breakout performances such as the one from Ryan Harris who caught three touch downs in the win over Herndon have added more depth to an already explosive offense. Oakton’s aerial attack combined with a plethora of talented running backs makes Oakton a fierce opponent to any team they come up against.

Oakton’s defense has been reliable all season but has really shown it’s strength as of late, giving up only seven points in the past two games. With one the best defensive backs in the Concord District, Derrick Beale has lead the Oakton secondary to strong performances. The D-Line has been anchored by strong seniors this whole season and has been one the most consistent parts of the Cougar’s defense. The Cougars linebackers have been one of the only questions all season. After an injury to starting linebacker and captain, Chris Walton, the Cougars were scrambling to replace him. His replacement, Eric Merten, stepped in against Herndon and had a very strong performance.

As Oakton enters the first round their opponent is South Lakes. After two strong outings, it looks like the Cougars have hit their stride at just the right time. The Cougars have a strong enough defense and powerful offense that many may be surprised by in the playoffs as they are poised to make a deep run.