Christie faces meme backlash

Christies hostage face
Christies “hostage” face

The 2016 race for the presidency has been one for the history books. Social media has shaped the outcome of the race by allowing citizens to understand each candidates’ views and discuss them with their peers. But there is also a more lighthearted side to emerge and that is memes.

Memes have wrecked havoc on candidates both liberal and conservative, and although he has dropped out of the race, former Republican presidential candidate Gov. Chris Christie (R-NJ) was not exempt from this phenomenon.

Christie dropped out of the presidential race and came out to back Donald Trump for the Republican nomination.

“I believe [Trump] is the best person to beat Hillary Clinton of the remaining Republican candidates,” said Christie. His face, however, said differently during the press conference, where he was backing Trump.

The Internet took it and ran with it, creating the #FreeChrisChristie meme, where millions joked the New Jersey governor’s facial expression while listening to Trump speak, was one of a hostage crying for help. Others joked that he looked like he immediately regretted his decision to support Trump the minute the businessman opened his mouth.

The meme took on a life of its own and even prompted Christie to make a public announcement that no, he was not a hostage, and yes, he still supports Trump after hearing him speak.

“It wasn’t the kind of circumstance where I’d be jumping up and down, cheering and smiling,” Christie said, asserting that he was just listening politely.

While memes are fun and lighthearted, they are also shaping this historic presidential race and what many people think of the candidates and their endorsers. With each passing week there seems to be a new meme of a presidential candidate, with people left wondering — who will be next?