Bernie Sanders wins Michigan Democratic Primary

Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders won Michigan over Hillary Clinton in a huge upset on Tuesday, March 8. Sanders won 50 percent of the state’s vote while Clinton won 48 percent. This win for Sanders surprised nearly everyone – even the Sanders campaign.  When the victory was announced, at about 11pm, it was reported that Sanders had already gone to bed. However, he had spoken earlier that night about his excitement for the close race.

The win was a huge upset because Clinton was expected to win Michigan by 20 percent. But when you take a closer look at how Michigan voters distinguish the two candidates, it clearly comes down to one thing: honesty and trustworthiness. 80% of voters said that Sanders is the most honest and trustworthy democratic candidate, according to NBC news. Election analysts point to this one factor as a major reason why Sanders won Michigan.

There has been a lot of debate about what this win means for Sander’s campaign. New York Times journalists Nate Cohn and Jonathan Martin wrote that Sanders “[needed] a surprise win to show he still has a path to the nomination” before the results in Michigan were announced. Now that Sanders has that surprise win, his chances for getting the democratic presidential nomination are higher. However, Clinton supposedly still has a significant advantage nationwide. She currently has a solid delegate lead over Sanders.