The Oakton Improv Team brings fun to the stage for their final performance of the year

Members of the Oakton Improv Team displaying their award.

The Oakton Improv Team, known as the “Improvables,” has driven themselves on the simple philosophy of “having fun,” and the group is getting ready to display their philosophy for their final few times this year.

The improv team is like an actor’s paradise, a place where they can be themselves, and yet still play the role of someone else. The Improv Team creates spontaneous short scenes on the fly, responding to each other so quickly that it seems as if the scene was planned. Throughout the year, the team practices so much that making an entire scene up on the fly can look easy, but in reality, it can be very difficult. The actors do not know what the other is going to say, but they must continue the scene and make sure it makes sense. Even though the scenes can be very funny and goofy, the actors still must maintain their composure and not fall victim to the giggles that may be aching to escape. Aspiring members audition for the team in October by playing games set up by the team leaders that demonstrate their improvisation abilities. Auditions are open to anyone who wants to join, and even practices are open for anyone to come and watch. The team typically practices once a week during the school year and does various games and exercises to keep them on their toes. Before each of their four shows the group puts on each year, they practice even more often to make sure they put on an enjoyable show for all their audiences. They are also used at many school shows and assemblies to keep the audience entertained in between acts or sections.

Although the improv team has somewhat flown under the radar at Oakton, their passion for what they do is strong. The team prides themselves on their open and creative nature. “It’s really a club for any and everyone… Improv can be about just being silly and it’s important to have a good attitude,” said Joe Walker, 11, and member of the team since his freshman year. Whenever they step foot in the spotlight, the team tries to display their fun and goofy spirit and they still create on-the-go performances that leave the whole room laughing. They always try to make the team a fun and welcoming for everyone, and the members have bonded through their passion for improvisation. The acts that take place on stage not only leave an imprint on the audience, but they’ve left an imprint on the members too. The improv team encourages self-confidence and expression among everyone, member or not. “Improv has helped me meet a lot of really great people and helped me grow as a both an actor and as a person. It has made me a lot more confident and is probably one of my favorite things to do,” said Michael Williamson, 12.

The Improv Team has their final show of the year coming up in June, the exact date is still to be determined.