People Need Other People. People need YOU

courtesy of TWLOHA

This year alone, we lost many people to suicide, most notably, beloved actor Robin Williams. This week, Sept. 8 to Sept. 13, is National Suicide Prevention Week, or NSPW. This week we honor those who lost their lives to themselves. There are a lot of things I can say about suicide. There are a lot of things I shouldn’t say about suicide. It’s important to know what suicide is, why it happens, and how we can prevent it. According to the New York Times, in the year of 2013, 38,485 cases of suicide were recorded. More than the death toll of car crashes, house fires, and shark attacks. And these were only the cases that were recorded, imagine those who were alone and friendless when they passed away. Suicide has become the leading cause of death in teens, and the third leading cause of death in adults and senior citizens. Suicide occurs all over the world, in all ages and is a crushing blow to someone’s life.

“Everyone plays their own individual role in society, and everyone contributes something of value”

My personal favorite 2014 NSPW campaign is run by a non-profit called To Write Love in Her Arms (TWLOHA), created by Jamie Tworkowski. This campaign is titled “No One Else Can Play Your Part.” and this is true in every case. Who else in the world is your exact character? Even if there is someone who may look like you and like the same music, books, movies, they can never play your part. Not to say they play no part at all, and THAT is the purpose of the campaign. Everyone plays their own personal role in society, and everyone contributes something of value. We can’t let that slip away from someone, as they affect our world. There are people who feel unloved, are lonely and depressed, feel they have no meaning or value. This campaign highlights the beauty in everyone and how much of a loss it would be if we lost anyone who contributed to our world as we know it.

“Any effort counts to helping others realize their true potential. It doesn’t take a certified doctor to listen and provide advice.”

You don’t have to be a Robin Williams or a Marilyn Monroe to be missed. Suicide is not your last option. Don’t let that be the answer to any of your questions. We live in a world where everyone is an independent person in their own right, but don’t let that deter you from seeking help. Another wonderful campaign by TWLOHA is “People Need Other People,” and if you ever need someone, I guarantee you can ask me for help. Or your best friend. Or your mom. Or your favorite math teacher from 6th grade. Someone cares. There are hundreds of organizations dedicated to this very idea of sharing perspectives and caring for others. National Suicide Prevention Week is not the only time we should help prevent suicides. We lose people everyday to suicide and various other ailments. Any effort counts to helping others realize their true potential. It doesn’t take a certified doctor to listen and give advice. You can do this, I can do this, and if we do this together, one day no one will feel so alone that they will want to end their life on this earth.

If you want to learn more about TWLOHA and National Suicide Prevention Week, visit their website here: http://twloha.com/blog/welcome-national-suicide-prevention-week-2014

If you or someone you know is suffering from any thoughts of suicide or need help, call this National Suicide hotline: 1-800-273-TALK