The National Decline of High School Boys Gymnastics

What happened to Boys High School Gymnastics?

Boys Gymnastics is definitely in for a tussle. In 1978, the United States had 1,279 high schools and 29,943 boys participating in high school boys gymnastics. Although there seems to be a stability in the programs existing in general, it’s a shadow of its former self. In 2016-17, the United States had 117 high schools and 1,894 boys participating in high school boys gymnastics. From 32 states in 1978 to 8 states in 2017—truly, this is a big issue.

So what caused the sport to drop significantly over the past 40 years? Is it a lack of interest or talent? Russ Telecky, a former boys gymnastics coach at Cedar Rapids Washington high school in the 1960s-70s said the reason for the decline of boys high school gymnastics in Iowa is mostly due to liability issues and insurance related concerns. Plenty of states too are facing the same problems. For example, Nebraska.

Coach Chmelka, Nebraska men’s gymnastics coach said, “I don’t understand why boys gymnastics was cut because of liability issues when football is just as dangerous. I mean, gymnastics does have its fair share of injury concerns, but what sport doesn’t? There’s always risk when playing a sport no matter what level you’re on.”

He ended up opening up his private club in Cedar Rapids in 1973 to give male gymnasts an opportunity to compete at the highest level as they couldn’t use their high school teams anymore. He is passionate on this topic as he wants to see improvement in the sport. Private clubs boomed in the late 1970s and 80s  since high school boys gymnastics was cancelled, there had to be another way to get interest. “There was a need for private clubs to open during those times because boys couldn’t use their high school teams anymore,” Telecky said. “[These private clubs] were needed for the continuation of this sport.”

Private club gymnastics are said to be more competitive but there are always two sides of a coin. Some of the disadvantages are injuries and this can ruin the confidence and interfere with the work of the gymnast. Also, the problem is it takes too much time throughout the week and since they are not located in school gyms, location too might become an issue.

This problem is not only in high schools but also in colleges. San Diego Unified (School District) dropped their programs due to budget constraints and lack of finding suitable coaches and personnel. Each year it is getting more difficult to find a coach with experience not just in gymnastics, but in all levels of gymnastics (the compulsory and the optional). There’s also more at stake because club gymnasts are paying for it.

However, all is not lost as what needs to be done is the upcoming of more higher level athletes to bring a comeback to the sport.