Emerging artists

Truthfully, this album is not bad. Shawn Mendes’ debut album, “Handwritten,” came out on April 14, 2015, and let’s be real, it’s good. Mendes is a YouTube star from Canada (we all know how well that went last time), and he is familiarly associated with the Vine stars that he is so close with, Cameron Dalles, Nash Grier, and the others that are too many to name.

But about the actual album. I wasn’t sure what to expect after hearing his two singles: “Life of the Party,” and “Something Big.” In those songs, he is very much a pop artist; there is a thumping bass and obvious pop anthems written in. But “Handwritten” is very acoustic. Ignoring his two singles, all the other songs are rhythmic and have very little synthesizing; you can clearly hear his guitar and the very simple bass and drum tracks. Check out his tracks “Air” featuring Astrid and “Strings” that are just so acoustic it hurts. It helps that his voice is kind of like chocolate and I might have gained twelve pounds just listening to the album. He has a cute mix of more upbeat songs like “Aftertaste” but the majority of the album is slower, more gentle tunes.

Definitely recommend if you like pop music but also, just check him out, because why not?