Maryland Women No. 5 are bringing the heat

On Sunday afternoon Maryland Terrapins continued their streak of fire by beating Northwestern. Shatori Walker-Kimbrough scored 27 points to lead No. 5 Maryland to a 79-70 win at Northwestern Sunday afternoon. The Maryland veterans combined for 70 points to lead the Terps to their ninth away win of the year.

Walker-Kimbrough went 10-15 from the floor, 3-4 from outside the arc with eight rebounds, four steals, three assists and two blocks. Senior Tierney Pfirman had 15 points and junior Brionna Jones scored 14 points. Maryland shot 56 percent, compared to 34.3 percent for Northwestern. The Terrapins held the Wildcats to 1-18 shooting from the field in taking a 25-5 lead at the end of the first quarter.

Maggie Lyon had 25 points for the Wildcats and Nia Coffey had 15 points and 11 rebounds. Ashley Deary finished with 11 points and nine assists. Lyon scored 17 points in the second half to help Northwestern to 65-60 with 5:34 to play. But Maryland replied with a pair of baskets from Jones and a three by Pfirman.

From college to high school this area is familiar with successful basketball programs. Recently, Oakton Girls have won their conference. On Friday night, February 19, the Oakton cougars took down the Herndon Hornets for the conference championship. The lady cougars are undefeated this season led by head coach Fred Priester. Their next game is against McLean in the first round at regions. It is on February 23 at Oakton High School. It is safe to say that from Maryland Terrapins to the Oakton Cougars there are plenty places to look and see examples of hard work and determination paying off.