Consequences initiated in response to students’ behavior at Glory Days Bowl

Oakton students cheer on the Cougars at the Glory Days Bowl.

Principal John Banbury refused to grant senior privileges and also put more restrictions on football games in response to what administration deemed an overly rowdy and inappropriate student section.

Senior class officers Millan Khadka, Nima Noori, Gillian Townsend, Alex “Porkchop” Pehrson, and Veronica Silva met with Banbury earlier today, Sep. 9 to ask for privileges for seniors.

“We had three suggestions,” said member of the Executive Council of the Class of 2015 Townsend. “They were leaving five minutes early on Fridays, getting into games for free on any senior night for sports, and opening up the lecture hall during cougar times for seniors only to hang out.”

While the officers weren’t sure about whether the latter two would be accepted, they were fairly confident on the first privilege being given. However, Banbury refused to grant any senior privileges.

“As far as I know, Oakton has never before denied a senior privilege,” said member of the Executive Council of the Class of 2015 Townsend. “But Dr. Banbury told us there was a problem at Oakton that needed to be addressed. The first was the drinking; at the last three major school events someone has been caught.”

The second, less well-known reason was that at the Glory Days Bowl, Oakton students stormed the field.

“Banbury had explicitly asked that students not storm the field at Madison, and students basically ignored that and did it anyways,” Townsend said.

In response to the underage drinking at school events, Banbury has also enacted new football game policies.

“[The administration] wants to make sure no one is drinking at games,” Townsend said. “Now students have to enter the games in a single file line. At the front of the line there will be two people from the administration and two police officers that will use a special flashlight on students that detects blood alcohol levels.”

Although it may look grim for students now, all hope is not lost.

“The football game rules will stay, but we can get privileges back,” Townsend said. “We have to come up with a new way to prove we are responsible and we can earn it back.”

The class council will meet with Banbury again to discuss this possibility.

“If [students] have questions or comments or suggestions or ideas to show we’re trustworthy, [they should] talk to the class officers,” Townsend said. “You have the right to request to talk to the administration.”

Even though the student section at football games may not be off to a great start, Townsend hopes that game attendance stays high.

“Despite all this, kids should still come to football games to support the team and show we are Oakton,” Townsend said. “We can be rowdy without getting into trouble.”