Crisis with ISIS grows with beheading of American journalists

On Sept. 2, 2014, another American journalist, Steven Sotloff, was shown being beheaded in a video released by ISIS titled “A second message to America.” Sotloff is the second beheading in five weeks. The first beheading was of James Foley on Aug. 20

ISIS released the first horrifying video in response to President Obama ordering air strikes against in Iraq to combat ISIS on Aug. 7

During the video of James Foley’s execution, ISIS expressed to America that “our knife will continue to strike the necks of your people” if the air strikes do not halt. 

The day after the release of the Foley video, President Obama gave his response to the Foley situation, expressing that “America does not forget. Our reach is long. We are patient. Justice will be done.” 

He also told Politico that “the limited strikes we’re conducting have been necessary to protect our people and have helped Iraqi forces begin to push back these terrorists,” making it clear that Obama plans to continue to execute airstrikes. 

Around two weeks following this statement, ISIS returned with a new video of the beheading of Sotloff. The same British jihadist from Foley’s video returned to YouTube saying “I’m back, Obama. I’m back because of your arrogant foreign policy towards the Islamic State [ISIS].” 

Sotloff read what many believe to have been a script, similar to the case of James Foley, saying America is his real killer.

“[President Obama’s] foreign policy of intervention in Iraq was supposed to be for preservation of American lives and interests, so why is it that I am paying the price of your interference with my life?” “said Sotloff in the video. 

Foley and Sotloff are not the only hostages whose lives are in danger because of ISIS. Similar to how Sotloff appeared as the next victim in the Foley video, British captive David Haines appears as the next victim. The British and American governments are working together to stop ISIS from taking more lives.

National Counterterroism Center Director Matthew Olsen has told the American public that ISIS is not as dangerous for the US as al Qaeda. 

“[ISIS] is not al Qaeda pre 9/11,” said Olsen. “We are not what we were pre 9/11. We are so much better postured, in so many ways, to see, detect, stop any attack like we saw on 9/11.” 

Obama will be addressing the nation at 9p.m. tonight during prime time to address the ISIS situation in Syria and Iraq.