Discover some lesser known religions

Discover some lesser known religions

Yazdisim

Descending from both Islam and Zoroastrianism, Yazidis reside primarily in the Middle East. Yazidis are monotheistic, believing that God created the universe, and left seven angels, led by Melek Taus (who was identified with Satan by medieval Islamic philosophers) in charge. Yazidis have been targeted recently by ISIS.

Jainism

Jainism is an Indian religion, founded in the fifth century BCE, and is traditionally considered to have been founded by the thinker Rishabha. Jains follow a philosophy of nonviolence, and attempt to not harm any living being. Jains refrain from eating meat, honey, or root vegetables to avoid hurting micro-organisms, insects, or worms.

Aboriginal Religion

While the aborigines of Australia have no unified religion, there are consistent beliefs throughout the continent. Aborigines believe in a “Dreamtime” where “Ancestral Beings” formed the world. Each Being has its own creation story, and is responsible for creating specific creatures, and is preserved in stories and rituals.

Mandaeism

Mandaeism is a secretive religion primarily located in Iraq. Mandaeans reject Jesus, Moses and Muhammed as false messiahs, and revere, most strongly, John the Baptist. As a Gnostic faith, Mandaeans believe that the god worshipped by Abrahamic faiths, called Ptahil, is evil, and is opposed by a God of Light.